What a Bunch of Wieners *In Reference To The Senate*

I can sleep easy again. The spell of unemployment depression is over and the bank account is starting to see the green (for now).

Over the past 6 months, I have been working at a private practice in Garden City called the House of Hearing Audiology Clinic. It is a very delightful clinic, to say the least.

I have had many mixed emotions about taking this position; excited, nervous, relieved, disappointed, empowered. Just every emotion under the sun, and moon, and stars, and all other planets, nebulas, black holes, dark matter, and all other crazy ass stuff floating around out there.

If you've known me since starting my doctorate, you might know that I want to work in a hospital seeing both adults and pediatrics with a focus on diagnostics. Unfortunately, a private practice is extremely different. The private practice environment is very dialed in on hearing aid sales. There is a small portion on diagnostics, but the largest part is managing hearing aids and pushing new sales.

I have made it longer than I expected and I am starting to actually like the private practice setting. There are freedoms that are available in private practice that are not available in a more structured hospital based clinic. The patients actually take me more seriously in PP than in my previous hospital based practice. Most of the patients I see really want to get hearing aids or want to do something about their hearing loss. I have noticed that in a hospital setting, most of the patients are there because their doctor sent them in for a hearing test...and not of their own desire. That in and of itself makes a HUGE difference when it comes to recommending hearing aids. I am currently doing around 40 units of hearing aids each month, which is pretty decent. When I was in the hospital, I really only did maybe 6 units a month. That speaks a lot to how different it is when a patient decides THEY want to see an audiologist vs them being sent by their doctor.

All that being said, I have been offered a position at the hospital....doing what I always wanted to do. "It's a dream come true" you may say...but at the same time, I am not 100% sure I want to leave my currently employment. I have excellent pay and decent benefits at my job, but it isn't want I always wanted to do. The down side is I will be losing my benefits and great pay to go work in a place that I wanted to be (if I continue with taking the job offer). Yikes, so much to think about.

On the Non-Audiology side of life, I am very happy to say I have moved into Boise and I live right off of the Green Belt. The GB is an awesome pathway for walkers and cyclists only. It follows the Boise River and is a direct shot to downtown wither all the best restaurants and wine bars are. Currently I am in the best wine bar in the state, Bodovino, so Cheers everyone :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Purest Mountain.

Your Kisses + Facial Hair.

PJ's