For A While It Was Just The Same Old Miners.

It is a good thing I was not born in a time period when documentation was important to the memory of a person or a culture. I am a terrible historian. If people had to rely on this blog to learn about my life or to know how I am doing, the vast majority of people would think I have either died or I was driven into seclusion.

Contrary to the popular belief, I am not dead, nor have I abandoned all human contact to live in isolation. I am in fact very much alive. Sometimes I am so alive that I question if I am truly awake or if I have been dreaming.

To explain what I mean, I will try to document over 1 year's worth of happenings. I find my ability to document anything these day (aside from patient charting) has significantly deteriorated. I blame it on the fact that I have to be a functional adult and be part of the real world. I do not have the luxury of tuning out a lecture or skipping a class to chronicle events, experiences, memories, thoughts, or happenings anymore.

March 2016 
As previously mentioned, I was asked to participate in a humanitarian mission to Peru with a group of healthcare professionals. This experience was remarkable, My pathetic attempt to describe the actual course of this mission in words could never do justice to the experience. Therefore, I will let the photos do the talking.




April 2016
A month full of adventure, stress, professional experiences and several sleepless nights.
For starters, I had been working as a research assistant on an NIH Research Grant that was awarded to one of my professors. The research project is looking at collecting normative data for a new type of middle ear assessment, Wideband Acoustic Immittance. I won't bore everyone with the tedious details of what WAI is or how it works (acoustics). This research consisted of me collecting data on people of all ages, infants to adults to geriatrics. It is actually a fascinating concept, for anyone interested. As a result of all this data collection, the individuals I was working with decided that we must present this information at a national audiology conference (AudiologyNOW!). A poster was created, my flight to Phoenix was booked and I was preparing for a poster presentation. The conference was absolutely delightful. I ended up presenting the information about WAI at the conferences poster session, in addition I also presented a poster about DPOAEs with respect to middle ear pressure (another interesting topic for discussion outside of the blogosphere).

Following the conference, I was in a haste to add the finishing touches on my Capstone project for my doctorate. For anyone not familiar with clinical doctorates, a Capstone is equal to a dissertation without the need to write an ungodly amount of double-spaced single sided pages. For an audiologist, we complete a Capstone project on an area of interest and basically do some form of clinical research (or a literature review). More on this later.

Aside from my travels, I also have been interviewing for residencies. I interviewed all over the place, and settled on St. Luke's Hearing and Balance in Boise. A lot more on this later.

May 2016
Remember that Capstone thing I mentioned? Well, this month I presented and defended my Capstone. Needless to say, I passed my defense. My Capstone focused on Differences in Distortion Product Otoacoustic Emissions Between Musicians and Non-Musicians.



June 2016-June 2017
Let's just say, this was 12 months of serious professional development and personal growth. I have spent the last year working for St. Luke's Hearing and Balance as a doctoral resident. Again, this experience is best categorized as significant professional development. To give any indication as to what that really means, let me shed light on a typical week, extremely watered down.
Monday and Tuesday- Downtown Boise office: Typically pediatric hearing evaluations and balance assessments.
Wednesday- Nampa office: Adult evaluations and hearing aids.
Thursday- Nampa office: Adult evaluations, hearing aids and cochlear implants.
Friday- Nampa office: Pediatric and adult evaluations, and hearing aids.
Needless to say, I have been receiving training and mentoring in nearly all areas of audiology (with the exception of Central Auditory Processing Disorders).




Somewhere in there I went back to Peru for a second humanitarian mission :)




OH! Also, I graduated and received the Meridian Student of Excellent Award. Now introducing Dr. Jacob Scott Diller, Au.D.




NOW:
What is next on the agenda? Good, yet awful question. I have been abruptly introduced into the real world. I am now in the market for a job, hopefully a career. My goal is to stay in Boise, unfortunately opportunities are very limited. But, I am trying.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Purest Mountain.

Your Kisses + Facial Hair.

PJ's